Sunday, January 30, 2011

Deep Thoughts

I would like to start this post of by quoting one of America's true hero's: I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me. There, now we can go on.

* So in case you didn't feel like going back and seeing how I did in my bowl picks, I have the final tally. My geniousness in the field of college football led me to a sparkling 16-19 record on my picks. So if you placed any sort of wager on my predictions, then all I can say to you is what are you thinking!

Anyway, national signing day is less than a week away and as always, things are coming down to the wire. Alabama, Texas, Florida State, LSU and USC lead the way with time running out. Georgia is ranked #7 and on the heels of new head coach Al Golden taking over Miami, the Hurricanes rank #46. But I have a feeling that Golden will be a recruiting beast once he settles in at The U.

* The Rocky Mount Balla League held it's post-season awards ceremony at Buffalo Wild Wings a few weeks back. A whopping 50% of league members showed up. Yippee. Our league winner was Senor Skeet Edmondson. Regular season winner was Braxton Hill. I was shut out. Not happy times.

* So my beloved bride-to-be Tracy had just returned from their annual family ski trip. For the last 2 months, I was the victim of underhanded comments and general mockery for my unwillingness to leave the mild North Carolina winter to pay hard earned money to go hurtling down a mountain, where I would most likely meet an untimely end at the base of a tree. And do I even have to mention that it's cold. I hate the cold. Why would I want to pay to be cold? Anyway, the family returned Saturday. They now all have the flu. Chalk this victory up to me. Wes - 1 Mother Nature - 0.

* I'm not a huge college basketball fan. I would much rather talk football or baseball, but today I must point out something that I never thought would happen. It is the doorstep to February and East Carolina basketball does not suck! Not only that, but they are over .500 on the season! And over .500 in conference play! Now you UNC and Duke fans may take that for granted, but in Pirate Country, this is a miracle! The Pirates have already passed their win total of last season (10) and with 2 more wins will be the winningest Pirate team of the 21st century. The Pirates highest win total in school history is 19, set in the 1974-75 season. While many people opposed the hiring of Head Coach Jeff Lebo due to his college career as a North Carolina Tar Heel, it has been an absolute breath of fresh air for the once moribund Pirate program. This is the most excitement around the program since Bill Herrion guided ECU to home wins over Marquette (with some guy named Dwyane Wade) and Louisville in 2000-2001. Let's hope the ship has been righted for the long run.

* My Netflix account since the late part of the summer has been sending a steady stream of the HBO series 'The Wire'. I would seriously recommend this series to anyone who loves a gritty cop drama. Now I will warn you it is not for the faint of heart or those who have a problem with foul language. If you can get around that, you will be in for an absolute treat. It has been called the most realistic police drama ever made, and I can understand why. It doesn't pull any punches, and it always leaves you ready for the next episode. I am about to start the 5th and final season, and it has been a great ride.

* It's Super Bowl week, so just in case I don't post anything before next weekend, I'll go ahead and give you my pick. (Steelers - 24 Packers - 17) Anyone who could handle Baltimore and the New York Jets and just outphysical them both isn't coming this far to lose. Super Bowl #7 for Blitzburgh.

Well, that's all I've got. I need to start jotting down the ideas that come to my head during the week while I'm out working. Ya'll have a great week and I'll be back soon to spit more of my truth...

No comments:

Post a Comment