Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oh What A Night...

Saturday, March 13, 2010.

Rocky Mount - 84
Concord - 79

And I still have goosebumps writing it three days later.

My group consisting of Britt and Grant Johnson and also Chris and Jay Falk arrived at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill at about 5:15 for the 7:30 tip. I have been to plenty of baseball games and football games in Chapel Hill, but somehow through all my travels, I have never been to the Dean Dome.

After picking up press passes and making sure everyone got in, I took a moment to look around the mezzanine area of the Dome. It really gives you a blast from the past to look at the pictures of all the UNC teams. Of course the first one I sought out was the 1977-1978 team, which starred former Gryphon great Phil Ford. I figured with it being a Rocky Mount night, who better to find a big picture of than a Rocky Mount legend.

I started down the steps to go to press row and drop off my radio equipment when I started to look up. And up, and up, and up, and...

Now I may not be a Carolina fan, but even I have to admit that it is incredible to just look up into the Dean Dome rafters. It is like a college basketball time machine. Every kid growing up in this state knows the names. Rosenebluth, Cunningham, Miller, Scott, Kupchak, O'Koren, Worthy, Jordan, Kenny Smith, Reid, Fox, Montross, Stackhouse, Jamison, Carter, McCants, Felton, Lawson, Hansbrough. And of course, Ford.

Just an awesome sight. You see the six national championship banners. The ACC championship banners. It kind of gives even the most hardcore Carolina hater a chill.

After finding our seats on press row, I set up the radio equipment and went exploring. The media room had the Georgia Tech-NC State game running, so I watched some of that with Chris Falk, who for the day was posing as Paul Andre so he could use a pass. Next I went in search of the Rocky Mount locker room. After I found this, the nerves started to kick in. So, as I had done before both regional games, I found a trash can and blew out my guts. Lovely huh?

Skip ahead to game time. Our radio broadcast started off great and I was getting a lot of text messages saying we sounded good. I know we had a coast-to-coast listenership and that had us feeling great as well. The broadcast went great and as you know, the game did as well. With about 18 seconds left, Coach Mike Gainey was able to put in the injured TJ Walker and that was the point I almost lost it. To see that kid get to realize his dream of playing in a state championship game was incredible. Torn ACL be damned, he got his chance. As the final buzzer sounded, Tony gave his championship call, which has been played over and over on Jammin 99.3 the last few days. And then everything I felt just welled up inside of me and I said how no one believed this team had the chemistry, the coaching or the grit to win a state title. It was satisfying way to end a heck of a season.

After the press conference and an interview on air with Coach Gainey, we called it a night and signed off our broadcast. I shook Tony's hand, packed up the equipment, found my crew and started to leave. As the guys were heading up the stands, I stopped short for a moment. I then jogged out to mid-court, slapped the logo and smiled. I figured this might be my one and only chance to get on the court at the Dean Dome. I mean, it's been 28 years since Rocky Mount had played for a state title. And you never know when you'll get a chance to get back.

So if I never get back, I will have March 13, 2010. The City of Rocky Mount will have March 13, 2010. The kids will have March 13, 2010.

And really, what better way to be introduced to the legendary Dean Dome than seeing my beloved Gryphons make history on that court. Heck of a lot better than having to see Carolina win on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment